blog post#1

Observation:

I measured my Trompe L’oeil of a polaroid camera to be about a half an inch larger due to the shrinking in the kiln. So it is a bit larger than the original object but in the end it will even out.

The areas I paid the most attention to was the intricate carvings and the overall shape. A polaroid camera has many curves and add ons that I had to perfect and the small details I had to carve.

Develop Craft:

The tools and techniques I used to recreate my object consisted of the needle tools, serrated edge scraper, small and large loop tools and the rubber rib to smooth it all out. I created the camera with a soft slab and scored it to become phased together. I also made it hollow so it was easier to achieve and it would not have any problems in the kiln.

First, I made a slab and measured it out to meet with configurations I previously planned out. Then, I rounded it and added curves with rolled coils, and I also added the actual lens by doing this technique. I had to make sure the lens did not over power the rest of the camera. I then let it dry until it was leather hard and added the small details and carvings.

Problem Solving:

Some challenges I faced while I was making the camera was when I made it hollow. It unfortunately started to cave in at some areas. I ended up opening it up by added a slip at the top and lightly pushing it back to it original shape, this worked out because the camera normally has an area where the picture wou;ld come out.

Another problem I had to solve was when I was carving in the words, little balls of clay would get lodged into the words and become stuck. I had to individually take a needle tool and carve them out.